We are your typical American family. Friday night it’s pizza night. More than I should admit we order from a local Italian restaurant but most of the time I make my own.
I don’t eat much pizza since the tomato sauce gives me heartburn but when I make my own you it’s a fight for the last piece.
This time I made a simple cheese pizza with a couple of halved tomatoes and fresh oregano. It was excellent! If only I had made two, hubby said.
I’ve made my own pizza dough years ago but never thought of sharing the recipe with you. I think I was selfish. I wanted to keep this just for me. I could eat this stuff every single day! I should probably make a bread just using the pizza crust, it’s that good!
Let me tell you a little secret – the key to the best pizza lays in the crust. We like out thin and I add grated cheese to the pizza dough. You can never go wrong with more cheese! We’re talking pizza here!
I think you already know that the pizza crust is the one that dictates the final result of the pizza. If the crust is flavorless no matter what topping you’ll add, your pizza will be bland. The Sargento® Shredded Reduced Fat 4 Cheese Italian, good olive oil, garlic and onion powder, sea salt and fresh ground pepper gave a lot of flavor to the crust and the fresh tomatoes and oregano I used for topping turn a simple pizza night into an unforgettable one!
Homemade cheese pizza with made-from-scratch flavorful cheese pizza dough.
- 4 cups (480 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 envelope PLATINUM Red Star Yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup (56 grams) Sargento® Shredded Reduced Fat 4 Cheese Italian
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- scant 1 cup water
- 1 cup (113 grams) Sargento® Shredded Reduced Fat 4 Cheese Italian
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- grape tomatoes halved
- fresh oregano
- In a mixing bowl add the flour and make a well in the middle. Pour 1/2 cup lukewarm water and sprinkle the yeast on top. Stir to combine the yeast with water (without incorporating too much flour) and leave at room temperature until foamy.
- With the dough hook on, stat mixing after adding the shredded cheese, oil, salt. sugar, pepper, garlic and onion powder.Slowly pour enough water (almost 1 cup) to form an elastic dough that comes clean from the sides of the bowl.
- Take the dough out and place it in an oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature until doubled in volume.
- When doubled in volume divide the dough in two-three pieces, depending how big you want your pizza.
- Keep one ball of pizza dough and the remaining 1(2) wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in a freezer zip-lock bag and keep in the freezer until next time you want to make pizza.
- Heat the oven to 450F.
- Roll the pizza dough out and brush lightly with olive oil and spread the toppings.
- Since we like our crust to be thin I don't leave the pizza stay at room temperature for a second rise for more than 10 minutes.
- Bake the pizza in the preheated oven until golden, for 10-12 minutes depending on the size.
- Enjoy while warm!
- The remaining pizza dough that is placed in the freezer will be as good as the fresh made one. All you have to do is let it thaw in the refrigerator for a couple of hours after removing it from the zip-lock bag.
- Leave the pizza dough to rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes while you heat the oven before rolling it our and place the topping on it.
- Bake as normal.
Sending love your way,
*This post is sponsored by Sargento® , all opinion are and always will be mine.