I’m nuts for coconut and I was so happy when my friend Abeer of Cakewhiz suggested this ingredient and the others bloggers confessed their nutty love.
Chocolate party is a monthly event hosted by me together with some wonderful bloggers. Each month we pick an ingredient and pair it with chocolate. We blog about it by the end of the month.
I hope you’ll join our party and bake along with us. Also, if you’d like to know what are we up to and what ingredients we pick for the next parties, join our Facebook group.
All submitted posts will be pinned to the Chocolate party Pinterest board and will be promoted on other social media platform using the #chocolateparty hashtag.
Our recipes will be shared on the first Monday of each month and you can submit your own recipes until the end of the month. You can submit up to 3 recipes each month.
How to participate (the rules)
1.) Blog about your chocolate treat. Your recipe must include the two ingredients we choose. It can be a simple no bake treat to a sophisticated layer cake, the complexity level of the recipe is up to you.
2.) Include a link back to this post or the Chocolate party page. Optional, add the Chocolate Party logo in your blog post or on your sidebar.
3.) Your recipe must be published during the current month. Please do not link old recipes, they will be deleted.
For today I’ve made chocolate coconut cookies. I have to say I had a very hard time deciding what to make. At first I thought of making lamingtons. Then I wanted chocolate coconut cupcakes followed by a German chocolate cake (a love of mine) but I ended up making cookies.
Don’t be disappointed, these cookies are amazing! They only take a few minutes to make them and after you have the first bite you’ll want to throw a coconut-y party.
I’ve used finely shredded coconut and coconut extract for a lovely nutty flavor and instead of using chocolate chips or adding cocoa to the cookie dough I used grated chocolate for a fine marbling effect. During baking the chocolate completely melts and you’re left with dark chocolate-y spots.
A soft cake-like cookie with a rich coconut flavor and chocolate bites.
- 3/4 cup soft butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (non-fat)
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 2/3 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 ox finely grated chocolate (I used 62%)
- 2 1/4 cups (270 grams) whole wheat pastry flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Heat the oven to 350F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and yogurt and mix well, scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Add the grated coconut, coconut extract and grated chocolate.
- In the end add the flour, baking powder and salt.
- With a cookie dough scoop place spoonfuls on the prepared baking sheets and chill for about 15 minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until edges are becoming golden and the cookies are soft to touch.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet and completely on wire racks.
- Store in an air-tight container.
Sending love your way,