I’m fortunate enough to live in an area where the strawberry patches are still open. For almost mid June that’s a really good thing.
I picked almost 8 lbs the other day and I plan on going out later today to pick some more, but I didn’t want to go out without sharing the recipe for these out-of-this-world delicious bars first. Some of you may have seen a teaser photo on Instagram or on Facebook last week.
The idea of these chocolate strawberry bars recipe came from a cookie cookbook and the first time I made them I followed the recipe without changing a thing. Then it got me thinking about roasting some strawberries on top of them. The idea turned into a sort of obsession and I knew I just have to try it. Boy, I’m so happy I did.
Think chocolate covered strawberries but way better!
This time I cut on the sugar for the cookie base, changed the fudge by adding some cocoa powder and less chocolate, used more jam and changed the nut topping to strawberries.
The cookie base is crumbly and buttery, just like a shortbread, the chocolate fudge blows you away, it’s rich and not to overwhelming sweet, then comes the strawberry jam and roasted strawberries.
While baking the jam and the strawberry lose their sweetness, they become tart and tangy which complements beautifully with the shortbread and chocolate fudge.
Chocolate fudge roasted strawberry cookie bars - shortbread cookie topped with rich chocolate fudge, tangy strawberry jam and tart roasted strawberries.
- 1 cup (226 grams) butter room temperature
- 2 cups (240 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (67 grams) sugar
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp (15 grams) cocoa powder
- 1 can (14 oz / 396 grams) condensed milk
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 1 cup halved strawberries
- 1 tbsp raw sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a mixing bowl whisk the soften butter. Change the whisk to the paddle attachment and add the sugar and flour. Mix until incorporated and the dough is crumbly.
- With floured fingers press the cookie dough on the bottom of a 13X9 baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges are beginning to become golden.
- When the cookie base is almost baked heat the condensed milk in a small sauce pan, add the chocolate chips and cocoa powder and stir until melted.
- Spread over the hot crust.
- With a teaspoon drop strawberry jam over the chocolate fudge. Top with halved strawberries and sprinkle with raw sugar, if using.
- Bake for another 27-30 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely in the pan before cutting into bars
Sending love your way,