Did you know today is World Diabetes Day? I didn’t either and if you take a look at my blog you can easily understand why. I bake absolutely nothing that can be called diabetic friendly, well except for these Pumpkin Cookies I made last year for my friend Carolyn and this beautiful Cranberry Cheesecake which happens to be both sugar and gluten free.
I’ve been reading Carolyn’s blog since I started blogging and I’ve learned that even if you have diabetes you can still enjoy lots of sweet treats, oh, and she’s a professional when it comes to whipping a low-carb gluten free sweet treat.
When she emailed me a few weeks ago about participating in an event to raise Diabetes awareness my first thought went to my mother in law. Some of you might smile of this point but I’ve mention her before and she’s as sweet as sugar, the sad part being she has to watch her blood sugar.
And just like Carolyn, my mother in law loves sweets. She has to has some every day, even if it’s just a few crumbs.
This cheesecake recipe is my favorite. I have made it several types using regular sugar and every time I just change the sauce on top, it depends on my mood and the season. This time I picked cranberries since they are in season, but you can leave it plain if you prefer.
Instead of regular white sugar I used Swerve, an all-natural diabetic friendly sweetener. It was the first time I have used it and it was a wonderful experience.
It was the first time I also made cranberry sauce for the cheesecake and can’t say for sure if it was the sweetener or just in general, but it dried out a wee bit. I’d recommend topping the cheesecake with the cranberry sauce just before serving, this way you prevent it from drying out.
The cheesecake turned out creamy and velvety, just like I like it. As a variation (and I’ve made it several times as well) you can replace one package of cream cheese with 1 cup of cottage cheese)
A creamy velvety cheesecake topped with cranberry sauce. The crust is made from ground almonds and the filling form a mixture of cream cheese, eggs and heavy cream, deliciously paired with the tart cranberry sauce.
- 8 oz whole almonds ground
- 1/4 cup swerve sweetener
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp cold butter, diced
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup swerve sweetener
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2X8oz each cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup swerve sweetener
- In a food processor add the almonds and process few minutes until ground. Add the butter, sugar, egg and salt and pulse few times until it forms a ball.
- Take the dough out and gently press it on the bottom and about 1 inch on the sides of a greased 8 inch springform pan.
- Chill for about 15 minutes.
- Turn the oven on and place a shallow dish with about 1 1/2 inch water in it on the bottom rack. Wait until the oven temperature reaches 350F.
- Now it's time to make the filling.
- In a large mixing bowl add the cream cheese and swerve and mix until combined. Add the heavy creamy, eggs and the egg white and stir until creamy. Pour into the chilled crust
- Bake without taking the water dish out of the oven for about 55 minutes or until the edges slightly become golden and the middle is just slightly wiggly.
- Turn off the oven, crack the door just a little bit and leave the cheesecake to slowly cool for the next two hours without taking it out of the oven. When the two hours are oven, run a butter knife between the cheesecake and the sides of the pan for easy release.
- While the cheesecake is cooling down you can make the cranberry sauce.
- In a small saucepan add the cranberries, swerve and orange juice and cook, over low heat for few minutes until the cranberries have popped and they become mushy. Remove from the heat and cool slightly before spreading it on top of the cheesecake.
- Remove the cheesecake from the pan and enjoy! Enjoy!
1 pound Swerve Confectioners Style Sweetener 1 pound Swerve Granulated Style Sweetener Swerve spatulas Swerve measuring spoons Swerve dough scraper Swerve measuring cup Candles Muffing liners Swerve lunch box To enter the giveaway, just leave a comment telling me what would you make first with Swerve. For additional entries (please leave a separate comment for each entry) - Like Roxana’s Home Baking on Facebook and leave a comment you did so in the comment area - Like Swerve on Facebook and leave a comment you did so in the comment area
Follow Swerve on twitter and leave a comment you did so in the comment area
Follow all my boards on Pinterest and leave a comment you did so in the comment area - Friend me on Google + and leave a comment you did so in the comment area
Pin this post and leave a link to the pin in the comment area - Retweet about this giveaway and and leave a link to your tweet in the comment area
The giveaway is opened to US residents only, 18 of age and you can enter until Wednesday November 21st at 11.59 pm EST. The winner will be choose via random.org and will be contacted via email.
Swerve is also generously giving away a Blue KitchenAid mixer on my friend Carolyn’s Blog.