Another summer treat.
I’ll hang onto summer as long as I can.
Abundant fresh fruit.
Tell me you don’t like summer!
And since I love you so much I didn’t want to let you wait forever for this lemon sugar cookies recipe I mentioned in my last post.
They are buttery melt in your mouth soft, with a tangy lemony touch from the lemon extract and lemon juice.
These sugar cookies are not good for decorating, being too fragile, they are best served on their own with a tall glass of cold milk, or with some preserve, even a little chocolate ganache in between two cookies. Nutella. Peanut Butter. Biscoff. Lots of possibilities.
I’ve made these cookies on a hot summer day, dreaming of sunny beaches with a nice ocean breeze.
If you don’t like the lemon flavor you can use vanilla extract or half of a vanilla bean paste or any other flavor.
The recipe is from Taste of Home magazine and although most of the recipes on this blog are adapted or developed in my kitchen, but to this one I’ve changed so little, using lemon instead of vanilla and just a dust more of flour.
Lemon Sugar Cookies - Buttery melt in your mouth sugar cookie with a tangy lemony touch
- 1 cup (225 grams) butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
- pinch of salt
- 2 2/3 to 2 3/4 cups (320-330grams) all purpose flour
- In a medium size mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. When light and fluffy add the two egg yolks, one at a time. Add the lemon extract and grated rind followed by the sifted flour and salt.
- Get the dough in a ball, flatten it a little bit, cover in plastic foil and refrigerate for about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- When chilled place the dough on a lightly floured working area and roll it out to 1/4 inch thickness. With a cookie cutter, cut cookies and place them on cookie baking sheet with parchment paper.
- When all the cookies are cut (about 2 dozen depending on the size and thickness) place the baking sheets in the fridge while waiting for the oven to heat to 350F.
- When the oven reaches 350F bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are very lightly browned.
- Leave to cool completely on the cookie sheet before removing.
- The cookies last up to a week in a air-tight container.
Other lemon cookies recipe you might like
Lemon Sugar Cookies from Two Peas & Their Pod
Lemon Sugar Cookies with Lemon Buttercream Frosting from Mother Thyme
Lemon Sugar Cookies from Chocolate, Chocolate and More
Crushed Lemon Drops Sugar Cookies from Barbara Bakes
Sending love your way,